Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

My 2012 Craft Diary


Hi there!  I'm back again with another project which I'm linking to the CC Weekly Blog Challenge (Creative Resolutions) and the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog (Warming Up with Hot Cocoa).  For this project I altered a notebook I  purchased last month from the Target dollar bins.  I'm happy to report that I used my stash to complete this project.  I had wanted to make the resolution to keep all my crafty notes in one place instead of in little bits of pieces of post-it notes which drive my DH bananas when he sees them scattered all over the computer desk we share - you're welcome, honey ;)

This is how it looked like before the transformation:



For this project I again used both my Cricut E2 and my Silhouette Cameo.  I started by  cutting down two pieces of glittered cardstock to size, to cover the front and the back of the cover.  Then I cut enough strand of ribbon to go around the notebook and some, to make a bow later to close the notebook.  I adhered the ribbon to the notebook first, then the glittered cardstock.


I used the print and cut feature on my Cameo to print and cut the title of my notebook!  This was the first time I've tried this and it is so cool!  I see myself saving a lot of mula on not having to buy sentiment stamps anymore!  Below are screen shots of the Silhouette Studio.  I again used the Quiggley Wiggly font.  Notice the registration marks for the Cameo to pick up on before it can cut.  I wanted the title to print inside an oval to match the scalloped oval it's going on top of later.


After the title printed in my printer, I went back to the Studio screen and deleted the title because I didn't want the individual letters cut out, just the oval around it.  Then I was ready to put the paper on the mat before I hit cut.

(I added little holes on the top and bottom of the oval because I had planned on threading twine,
but later decided against it so I just stuck two half pearls in the final project)

(The oval shape does not show here because it's a cut line, but it will cut around the title. 
Notice the registration marks)

After the title was cut, I proceeded to cut the matching scalloped oval from the Silhouette Studio in pink swirly glittered cardstock.  

Then it was time for me to cut my Cricut images on the E2.  I used the following Cricut images:  (1) butterfly [Cake Basics], (2) quill [Sentimentals], (3) ink bottle [Sentimentals], and (4) cup [Wall Decor and More].  Below are the cuts (Cameo and Cricut) before assembly.



And here are closeups of the final project.  I added blings, inked a few edges, and used foam mounts for depth.  I also added a couple of strips of solid cardstocks embossed with D'vine Swirls CB folder and then sewed around it for added texture. 





Here's a peek of the inside of the notebook.  I'm going to keep a tally of crafty things I've made this year, which may or may not all be on this blog (sometimes I'm just too lazy to post). 


I hope this notebook will keep me organized this year.  I may have to make another one in a few months if and when I run out of room - ohhhh wouldn't that be fun to make another one?!  For now, thanks for stopping by!  

14 comments:

nanapuddin said...

That is so cute!! I love it! Good luck!
scrappin nanapuddin on the mb

Melanie Makes said...

What a great transformation! I should keep one of my own, lol. Thanks for joining us for Challenge me Monday at FCCB.
Melanie Makes
http://melaniemakes.blogspot.com/

SandeeNC said...

What a great way to alter a book and with your stash! wtg! I bet your DH will be a happy camper now that your all organized!

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing the steps!
Carolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

girlia said...

Very pretty

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Thanks for the nice comments, ladies! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting.

@ Sherrie K. (sherriescraps.blogspot.com) with FCCB - I know your comment does not show here cuz I'm a dork! Accidentally hit "Reject" instead of "Publish" your comment and I can't retrieve it now :(. Thanks for your nice comment. Next time I will be more careful.

Bernadet Rodakowski said...

Ooohh, I love repurposing items for craft projects, especially goodies from the dollar bin! Great teacup cut too!

Larelyn said...

What a wonderful idea and such a special place to keep your notes. I thinks yours jumped over to my desk LOL. Thanks for sharing at FCCB.
Hugs,
Larelyn
FCCB DT

Kate said...

This is gorgeous - and such a lovely improvement to the original! I'm so glad you showed the way the diary looked before. It's always so fun to see the transformation! You've done a super job!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at Fantabulous Cricut!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper
smallbitsofpaper @ hotmail.com [remove spaces]

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Love your new scrap diary. TFS

Linda Kaiser said...

Super cute diary! I am thinking about getting a Cameo and love your photos.

Wow what a good idea!

Linda

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Thanks so much, ladies!

@ Linda: I don't believe you will regret getting one!

Sukie said...

I am a new follower from the Circle Blog, just stopping by to check out your blog! I love your notebook, it's adorable! I will be back for more inspiration!

http://scrappindhilly.blogspot.com/

Rose said...

Great job, I'm all about lists and organizing!
Californiarose